View Single Post
Old 09-17-2007, 04:36 PM

Default Re: Fantasy / Science Fiction book series

This is the first I've heard of Jordan dying. "The Eye of the World" was the first fantasy book I ever read. I found a copy in a box outside a used bookstore for a quarter about 16 years ago. Thrifty even as a kid, I figured I couldn't go wrong with that many pages for so few cents.

Kay is one of my favorite authors. I love The Fionavar Tapestry, but it wasn't that well-written, at least compared to his later works. You can definitely watch his progression as an author through his books, and he's gotten a lot better since. "Tigana" is likely my favorite book ever.

I'm just about to finish "The Diamond Age" by Neal Stephenson. I hadn't read it before, and I'm really enjoying it. Stephenson's writing style grates on me sometimes, with his over-use of metaphors, but he seems more toned down than usual in this one.

After I'm done, I might have to get "The Eye of the World" again and read it in tribute to Jordan. He wasn't a great writer, but he could tell a good story. I'm pretty sad right now.