View Single Post
Old 09-12-2007, 12:19 AM

Default Re: Convincing a neocon

[ QUOTE ]
Below is an email I just sent to my Dad. He's not exactly a neocon; more like an "old school" Republican that watches Fox News and thinks of it as actual news (so he sort of tends to believe in their message). He is from MA though, barely religious, and considers himself a quasi-libertarian, mostly because he doesn't really give a crap if people he doesn't know have abortions, etc. So he has hope.

I'm curious if people agree with the way I represent RP, or if you have any tips. And also, I share this email as possible advice for others (if we agree this is a sound approach). This could be a good thread to share tactics. There are enough threads about why we all agree RP is great, but not many about how to actively go about convincing the type of people that need to be convinced. So feel free to share any sample rhetoric or advice you may have.

[ QUOTE ]
The media seems to have labeled Ron Paul as an "anti-war" candidate. Don't be tricked. He is not anti-war; he is merely pro-Constitution, and believes strongly in defending our country according to the founders' advice. He is too ideological on Iran, and should admit he would act differently because of the mess he'd be inheriting. I'm starting to grow annoyed with Dr. Paul, because he doesn't seem to be doing a good job explaining the underlying logic behind his foreign policy positions (and it makes him look really bad when you ask him, myopically, what he would do about a specific circumstance). But I still believe strongly in his underlying message! Maybe I'll offer to start writing his speeches for him. NUKE IRAN AND NUKE THEM NOW. That's what I think, practically, and that's what Ron Paul would do the second he felt he had the right to attack. But our Constitution does not allow for guessing and choosing who is worthy of a preemptive strike, so when he says he wouldn't do it, he is just yielding to his unwavering respect for our rule of law. And that's something I admire, even if it's hard to explain in an easily digestible way.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think Paul would nuke Iran if he had the green light? What would be gained by such a move? More importantly, why are you screaming nuke Iran in caps? What have they done to you or your country that you want to preemptively murder tens of thousands of people you never met?