View Single Post
Old 10-03-2007, 02:22 PM

Default Re: question from schneids\' latest CR vid, BB defense with 44

I read it as, when the SB calls, your check raise shows more strength and you're less likely to be messed with, while still being ahead of the SB in most cases. If the button has missed, he's not going to be messing around with 2 of you. He might peel the flop and fold the turn so you also prevent him from seeing 2 cards as you said. You get position on the drawing player and prevent the button from seeing the river where he probably should. You put that together with the meta stuff that MANY pointed out and it seems like a decent play that I basically never make. If you just play passively you're easy to read and have to avoid the majority of the deck twice. If you play it aggressively you're more difficult to read and might even win without a showdown. That also makes your hand easier to play since you've set up a situation where you can probably trust the information you're going to get later in the hand.

On the other hand, if the SB folds, check raising isn't likely to win you the pot any more than just calling down on this board. You will end up on the river in a reverse implied odds situation often. However, if you check-raise you can also represent a lot of scare cards on the turn. Check raising in either case seems like a good option to me.