View Single Post
Old 07-13-2007, 08:09 PM

Default Re: Project - Compiled stats for Short Handed Games

[ QUOTE ]
What did you use here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think for the pictures posted, I used mean 15 std 2.5 for winners, and mean 22 std 4 for losers

[ QUOTE ]
Did you take this from the binomial distribution?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, I didnt hardwire the std as a function of the mean of the stat, since it allowed more flexibility.

The actual code looked like this (edited slightly for readability):

statMean + statStdDev*sqrt(perHandConst/player(loop).numHands)*randn(1)

statMean is self explanatory

statStdDev is the std of the stat, which I think I set at 100 for the above, which is quite a bit higher than all of the stats that fit into a [0,100] type range are going to have (as you bring that down, the cost of including smaller DBs decreases)

perHandConst is a constant to adjust for the number of times per hand the stat is used. Which is 1/(prob of acting on stat in hand) (ie. VPIP would be 1, but stuff like river bet would be much bigger)

randn(1) is a random variable from a normal dist with u = 0, and st = 1.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, how did you write the program? Some kind of stat program or was it writen in a programing langauge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Matlab

[ QUOTE ]
What I meant to impart was that if you want to look at statistics to become a better player, you're better off looking at the stats of a clearly winning player as a whole and trying to derive why that players stats are the way they are rather then the average of many players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont get me wrong, i definitely agree with this, for the most part. But, for more beginning players, it seems like they might often think "well, Im different on a bunch of stats. Some by a bit, some by more than a bit. I wonder what that means?" And, they might not be able to figure it out.

I really do agree with most (maybe all, cant remember) of what seth has said in this thread. But learning how stats go together is upper level thought. And some newer players might be better off thinking "I show down way more than most 2p2ers, maybe I should post a few hands where I showdown with what I call marginal hands, and get feedback" than they are with thinking about how their WTSD fits in with other stats.