View Single Post
Old 11-18-2007, 02:35 AM

Default Re: Why I Despise Bush\'s Presidency.....Rant...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
g. Being to responsive to allegations of abuse. Innocent marines were falsely charged with murder based on perjury from Iraqis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably. How many U.S. serviceman have committed crimes and been exonerated because of perjury from their comrades, or because everyone just looked the other way (and thus had no need to lie overtly)? Which number do you think is greater? I honestly don't know, but if given even odds, I know where my money would be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Spoken like someone who has never seen any combat (outside of a "little on TV").

Keep on giving out speeding tickets at The INDY 500. Also keep assuming the worst of highly trained American Service personell whilst assuming the best of radical, suicidal, direct civilian targeting, douchebags.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've overreacted to what I actually said. And I'm not assuming the worst (or the best) about anybody. The only assumption I'm making is that soldiers will be tend to be very loyal to each other, sometimes (from an outsider's perspective) even loyal to a fault.

My point was not that soldiers are scum, nor was it that accusatory Iraqis are unusually honest. My point was that I suspect the OP is influenced by American exceptionalism; e.g., being more upset by the bad deeds of Iraqi civilians than the comparable bad deeds of U.S. soldiers.

(Incidentally, "speeding tickets at the Indy 500"? Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think you're necessarily supposed to agree with Captain Willard's point of view -- crimes by soldiers in a war zone should still be crimes, for the most part.)