View Single Post
Old 10-29-2007, 10:26 PM

Default Re: October [censored] thread

I've been reading the quarterly report, and there are definite issues with the company so it isn't as simple as an unnoticed ridic dividend.

Its a canadian income trust on the TSE exchange with the ticker CUS.UN. It will be affected by the new income trust legislation that comes in 2011, and thus have to pay income tax after that, though depending on how they treat their dividend payouts (if any of course) after that the after tax returns for an investor should remain somewhere around the same. It produces sodium chlorate and a few other chemicals for pulp production. Their business is of course going to be negatively affected by the Increasing Canadian dollar, but they have bought options to hedge, and switched most of their debt to american dollars (back when it was at 0.92 cents) and canadian manufacturers account for over 2/3rds of sodium chlorate production so some of the appreciation of the dollar will be taken up by price increases for US buyers of the chemical. They have also had to deal with a number of what seem to be one time issues like a repair issue at one of their plants etc.

They pay the dividend every month and it works out to about 86 cents a year if i remember correctly. I still don't understand completely how to value stocks and completely understand balance sheets so i'm still sticking with my etfs, but i thought it was an interesting stock that could have some possibilities. I just don't have the confidence to give it a solid valuation.

If anyone takes a look at their quarterly reports feel free to correct anything i've said as i'm really just trying to learn here.

Also, anyone know a good resource for me to learn everything i need to know about balance sheets. Would it be worth it for me to take an Accounting class that focuses on that or something? I don't mind just buying a textbook tho and reading it instead of actually wasting time in a class.