Thread: Guns in America
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2007, 10:26 PM

Default Re: Guns in America

[ QUOTE ]

In my opinion, there is no "gun-control problem" at all, in fact it is just the opposite; it is a travesty that more Americans do not own firearms (less than half of all households).

[/ QUOTE ]

Some years back, there was a rash of robberies and car jackings of foreign tourists in Florida. A local reporter interviewed a prisoner who was convicted of several such crimes and asked why the new focus on tourists. The answer was that Florida had recently adopted a much more liberal policy of allowing citizens to carry guns, and the crooks knew that foreign tourists could not be armed.

[ QUOTE ]
I propose that shooting skills, target competition, and firearm safety be a required class in all American High Schools and that responsible gun owernship is part of an individuals civil responsibility. At the end of the class everyone that passes is issued, free, one hand gun and one rifle at the school's expense (covered by issue of public bonds).

Happy shooting.

-Zeno

[/ QUOTE ]

Here, here. In the olden days of prehistory, I first learned to shoot in the Boy Scouts, probably at about age 12. I also took a class in Gun Safety and Marksmanship as a physical education elective in college. My university had a rifle range under the stadium grandstands. I'm sure that the mere suggestion of such things would cause cardiac arrest in the majority of today's nanny-staters.