View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 12:08 AM

Default Re: Examples of why your dad is/was awesome

one day when I was a kid, my dad showed me a pile of wood he had bought on the workshop floor. he told me he was going to make me a desk out of that wood, and I didn't believe him. he made me an awesome colonial desk with a fold out top and all sorts of little drawers.

the whole thing is dovetailed together, and was perfectly solid with no glue at all, although he glued it for good measure.

when I was much older I found out something very interesting about the way my dad built my desk. although he had a bunch of tools, he decided to build my desk the way it would have been built in the time period it was from, and so he didn't use any electric tools at all. since every joint is a dovetail, he cut all those dovetails by hand. this is the kind of person my dad is.

he's built almost all the furniture in me and my sister's house, and it's all really beautiful. a lot of projects he does with no written out blueprint or plan, just has it in his head. he doesn't think this is particularly special or weird in any way.