View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 10:17 AM

Default Re: Renewable Energy

There is no doubt in my mind that humans will cause the destruction of the earth, (well OK, a meteor could hit tomorrow) but each individual has such a small contribution to that happening, that it is nearly (probably entirely) impossible to provide an incentive great enough for the 6 billion inhabitants of the earth to change their ways.

Sure we could go back to the stone age, and burn no fossil fuels, but not many people are willing to give up their lifestyle that goes along with the dependence on fossil fuels.

Humans are self-interested, and very myopic, and also quite hypocritical.

I fail to see any way to solve the problem when someone like John Travolta, a proponent of "ending global warming" has five private jets that burn a tremendous amount of fossil fuels, and have a large carbon footprint. If he is really so serious about ending the problem, he wouldn't be telling others what to do, and would instead lead with his actions. Source

Al Gore has no support of mine for the same reasons. His private estate, uses enough electricity to power 20 "average" homes. Source

The whole global warming debate to me seems like a huge case of "do as I say, not as I do".

It really is too bad humanity is so intent on destroying itself, but I don't really see any good solutions to the problem. The only possible solution I see is economic solutions that will develop over time. But those take time to develop and prosper, and they don't exactly carry the same touchy-feely weight that "GO GREEN!" does.