View Single Post
Old 12-22-2006, 02:04 AM

Default Foxwoods Trip Report 12-21-06

I went up to Foxwoods for the night of 12/21 to play 1-2 NLHE. It was the first time in a year that I'd been to Foxwoods (with a lot of play at Borgata, Venetian and Caesar's LV in between), and so it was my first time in the new room. Some observations:

-The new room was more than half full both on Tuesday night (9-1) and Wednesday at noontime.
-Perhaps it was just my table, but 1-2 NL seemed even softer here than in AC or Vegas. My table was full of loose passives, plus one maniac who would raise six or seven consecutive hands pre-flop and had managed to amass about $800. Then, partway through a happy couple appeared, brandishing "Ranking of Hands" brochures.
-One hand featured the maniac described above vs. the lady with the ranking brochure. At the river, there's about $80 in the pot and the board shows KTxxx (no A or 9). Maniac goes all in (~$750) and newbie lady calls (~$350). Both show QJo, and the pot is chopped. Maniac proceeds to mutter about how dumb her call was (it was) and contrast it with how smart his bet was (it wasn't, though I'll grant it wasn't quite as dumb as her call).
-Man, I'd forgotten how bad the dealers are! The main difference from the Borgata was in speed, not competency; the dealers were taking their time almost as though their compensation was only very negligibly affected by how many hands per hour they dealt. Oh wait... Man, tip pooling is the devil. My hope is that any potential Mohegan Sun room will apply competitive pressure and cause the f/w room to improve.
-As a bonus, there's free high-speed internet in the Great Cedar Hotel rooms.

Josh