View Single Post
Old 03-20-2007, 12:51 AM

Default Re: Time restricted tournament strategy

[ QUOTE ]
tournaments that aren't freezeouts but the top 2 or 3 chip leaders will advance to the final table after 1 hour or so. How should my strategy differ from normal SNG strategy?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want something more specfic, give the blind/ante structure, starting stacks, rebuy info, the prize structure if not winner take all. How many people enter?

You have to move pretty quickly in these things to accumulate chips, and this effect is more pronounced the more players there are. Full on aggressive bully mode would seem the way to go here, but if the players are really bad you might want to tighten up a just little - bluffing is a disaster against total novice players, and even they will feel the pressure of the blinds in such a fast structure. If they can't fold middle pair no kicker, you'll just have to wait for a hand.

If you get short or even semi-short, get to pushing like silly, and your requirements will have to be looser than the normal M guidelines, because those blinds move so fast. With slower dealers you might only get a few hands in before blinds go up, so I'd have no problem pushing,say, Q8 with 9bb from the hijack if there were no raises behind me (a couple of donk limpers might be fine, adjust accordingly).

I generally like trying to pick up chips right from the beginning in these, no point "playing tight early", because early won't last very long.

Last, if it's not WTA, be fearless on the bubble and just run over anyone not willing to put up a fight. If you're the chip leader, even more so.