Thread: Robert Kiyosaki
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2006, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Robert Kiyosaki

I just read RDPD and thought it pretty silly. Unfortunately I didn't get around to writing up my detailed thoughts at the time, but essentially he has a good message, save and invest, and he presents it in a very motivational way. It doesn't matter that he made up the "rich dad" and the stupid lessons, "the richest man in babylon" ain't a documentary either.

My gripe with him is when he gets beyond the basics of motivating you to save and invest, any detailed advice (which he is clever not to offer much of) is often contradictory and wrong. It's clear he doesn't know much about investing, or real estate (see John T. Reed). Whenever he writes a column about some topic I do have some knowledge of (i.e. Warren Buffett's approach to investing) he gets some basic facts wrong and usually totally misses the big picture.

There are other good books, including Richest Man in Babylon, and Millionaire Next Door, that can motivate you to think about how you live your life and how to achieve your goals. And they aren't filled with a bunch of contradictory or just plain wrong advice.