View Single Post
Old 09-13-2007, 04:19 PM

Default Re: 200NL | When nits attack!.....other nits!

I'm always thinking about balance. In this spot, taking a fairly strong line against a player who I expect to be reasonably strong a decent amount of the time, I'll c/r playing trappy-ish with huge hands that can beat a lot of his big hands, as well as strong draws that aren't necessarily in awful shape when he has a huge hand.

Maybe balance is a subject for another thread; I feel like it's one of the reasons I'm as successful as I am, and I think it's important that I'm constantly putting other players in positions where they're making mistakes against certain, usually sizable parts of my range no matter which action they choose. I definitely see the point for there being situations where trying to balance your play doesn't really matter though.

Like, yesterday I squeezed AK in the blinds and a cold-caller on the button (52/10 donk, awful, hates folding, 170bbs deep or so) called. I led like 3/4 pot on a drawy, raggy flop, got minraised, and folded. In a vacuum this play is fairly horrible, but I felt comfortable making it at the time and am confident it was the right play, because:
- when I have an overpair there, I want action and intend to stack off
- I don't want to check here and make my hands more readable in the future
- Bet-folding will get me more action against him in the future because he will be more inclined to bluff at me.

Somewhat similar example, I guess.