Default Re: live 2-4: show my ace?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
show my ace?

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't see how showing a card here can possibly help you in any way.

[/ QUOTE ]

agree... what are you hoping, that he folds exactly AJ?

[/ QUOTE ]

That was the idea. Maybe AQ. Very scared player.

[/ QUOTE ]

never show anything ....only show when hand is over and even then only sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

This I definitely disagree with. There are lots of situations where strategically showing a card can help you bluff someone out of a pot, or (less often) can help you get paid off. Take a board of A 3 5 J 7 where you check-raise with air. Say the person is contemplating calling with what is obviously two small pair and mutters something about whether you hit aces up and how you didn't play the hand like you had an ace, etc. Often by turning up a 6 or a 4, you can get the guy to put you on a straight and fold. Conversely, if the person is openly worrying about you having a straight that you have, I've often found that showing one of the straight cards will get the person to call, assuming that you wouldn't possibly show that unless you wanted them to fold. Etc. etc. Sure they are stupid live game tricks that probably don't work against top players, but they can definitely work from the low stakes up through at least 10-20.