Thread: Going to Beliz
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2007, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Going to Beliz

You're going to love Ambergris Caye. It's fantastic. I got married there. We stayed at a place called Victoria house, in general it's in the middle range I think, but the honeymoon suite was pretty fantastic.

Good place to eat if you want something gourmet. I don't know how it compares price-wise, my wife did all that stuff.

The only problem with Capt. Morgans and a few others is their distance from anything else, like the main 'downtown' area. For transportation there are two options. Boats (taxis) and golf carts that you rent. There are no other vehicles for tourists. Things may have changed, it's been about 5 years since I was there.

There was only one road to get from things down by capt. morgans back to the main area on the isle. If it has been raining much at all, that road becomes impassible for golf carts. You'll get very stuck if you try. Trust me on this, been there done that.

Captain Morgans and one other place down that way were the rockin places, but otherwise the whole Isle is very laid back. Bar hopping near downtown is fun. There was a semi-dive bar in an apartment complex called the Crazy Canuck's and it was hopin with a mix of tourists and locals.

If you have a half day to kill and like fishing, hire a guide and fish for baracuda inside the reef. Great fun and you'll get other fish too. This sort of trip usually includes a shore lunch where you eat your catch and the guide guys are great open pit cooks and of course know how to get you fish. We paired a fish trip like that with snorkeling at a place called Mexico Rocks, which was the best snorkling I've ever done. But as a scuba guy you will see much more at the atols and stuff I think.