View Single Post
Old 01-30-2007, 12:28 AM

Default Re: What will make you happy?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"I think the job of online poker alone makes a lot of us unhappy."

This is very true. I lived by myself for a year, and it was the worst year of my life. I could see myself sinking into depression.

[/ QUOTE ]
For me, this is a grass is always greener deal. I mean, I look at you poker pros - setting your own hours, some of you making sick money - and I wonder WTF, how can you complain?

From what I've read, most off-topic posters at this site play poker purely as a hobby or for side income. Very few - Alobar, nath, daryn, nation, probably a few others - are frequent OT posters (not counting BBV into this equation). I'd be interested in hearing your guys' "day in the life of". It may be a really short possibly boring read, but I'm struggling to understand how 8-tabling online poker when you feel like it is such a huge downer.

As for me personally being happy? Simple - never have kids, never pay alimony. So far I'm batting 1.000.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was a brief time when I was in the unhappy poker guy mode.

My day in the life of would look like this:

Wake up from noon-2 PM. Go to WaWa, get a sandwich. Eat Sandwich.

2pm-6pm - Play online poker, read 2p2, chat with friends.

6pm-7pm Eat dinner.

7pm - 2AM - Play poker, read internet, talk on AIM.

Every so often the 7pm-2am time would get jazzed up with some going out.

It didn't take me long to realize that the salary wasn't cutting it for the hours. My current day in the life of looks like this:

7:00 AM: If it's snowing, wake up to go ski, otherwise, sleep.

9:00 AM-10 AM: Wake up and eat breakfast.

10:AM- 1 PM: Ski.

1 PM - 2 PM: Lunch

2 PM - 5 PM: Hang out with gf.

5 PM to 9 PM: Poker if I feel like it, sometimes hang out with friends, or gf if it's one of her 2 days off.

9 PM: GF comes home from work, drink wine and watch a movie, or go out if it's not a weekend since she works mornings on weekends.

I like my new schedule better.

James

EDIT: It's very very easy to get trapped by your freedom. I'm absolutely sure this is what happens to most online poker players who suffer from being unsatisfied. With all that free time, it's almost impossible to enjoy it when there is nothing to contrast it to. You take it for granted and you start to blend together a lot (a LOT) of days of sitting in front of the computer, passing time.