View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 09:54 PM

Default Re: So I\'m going to Prison for 2 years

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I got 3 DUI's in less than 2 years, 1 of them on a suspended license and I only spent a weekend in jail total.(not counting time in detox)

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you have representation? My general observation has been that, at least in my jurisdiction, the punishment for DUI is 4 to 5 times greater for individuals who do not get lawyers.

The problem I have with the 2.5 years is not the length of time so much as the relative length of time. This thread occurred to me yesterday when I was listening to the news and a women who assaulted a baby in her care (daycare worker) causing brain damage got 18 months of house arrest. One of my last criminal cases was a drug dealer. He sold crack, was the leader of a small gang, was found with a weapon and was also charged with assaulting a competing drug dealer. He got 3 years. When you factor in double time for time served pre-trial he ended up spending less time in jail than OP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dropped 10 grand on a lawyer. It didn't really help much though becasue in AZ there is a mandatory sentencing schedule for DUI offenses. So the only wa a lawyer can really help is trying to find discrepencies or mitigating circumstances in the case. Also AZ prisons don't offerf 2 for 1s in terms of days served. I will have to serve atleast 85% of my time.