View Single Post
Old 11-23-2007, 12:25 AM

Default Talking About Speech Impediments

I have a speech impediment known as a "lateral" lisp. From Wikipedia:

[ QUOTE ]
The "lateral" lisp, where the /s/ and /z/ sounds are produced with air escaping over the sides of the tongue, is also called 'slushy ess' or a 'slushy lisp' due to the wet, spitty sound. The symbols for these lateralized sounds are in the Extended International Phonetic Alphabet for speech disorders, [ʪ] and [ʫ].

[/ QUOTE ]
Basically, I pronounce the letter "s" using the side of my tongue and mouth. I have tried to pronounce it using the tip of my tongue and my front teeth (which I have gathered is the correct way), but it sounds even worse.

Over the years it has been a big source of insecurity for me. I was teased mercilessly throughout school. Many times, it is difficult for people to understand what I am saying. You can imagine how this would affect one's romantic life and professional career. It seems like it gets even worse when I get nervous and my mouth gets dry.

I have decided to see a speech therapist to attempt to correct my problem. Has anyone had any experience with one, especially as an adult?

The reason I started this thread was to provide a resource of support and advice for those with speech problems. Please share your stories.