View Single Post
Old 07-16-2007, 06:34 PM

Default Re: It\'s my gf\'s 21st, help me plan (in NYC)

Midtown hotels can be a little business conference-oriented, but there are a few that are more fun/romantic. The Bryant Park Hotel on W. 40th (near the library) is nice, kind of hip, with a cool lounge in the basement. The Hudson on W. 58th is super-trendy and a little edgy, has a fun nightclub, rooms are really tiny but cool looking. The Parker Meridien by Carnegie Hall is upscale and classy (there's also an awesome hidden burger shop off the lobby -- not for the nice dinner, but could be fun for luch or something). I'd stay away from Times Square -- there are a couple of decent hotels, but it's too much of a tourist scene.

For dinner, maybe the Four Seasons? It's definitely old-school, but actually not that stuffy (jacket required though). The food's great, and the Pool Room can be very romantic. I took a girl there when I was around 21, and she was literally speechless when we walked in.

If you want to give lingerie, I think Agent Provocateur blows La Perla away. This stuff is beautiful, classy, totally sexy -- but not cheap (a set will run you $200+). The staff's very helpful, so should be able to work with you to pick something out if you have measurements. Even better, bring her in and let her pick something out. They have curtained-off changing areas, and they don't care if boyfriends go in for a preview, so you can have her model some stuff for you and pick something out together. The shop's in Soho.