View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 04:50 PM

Default Re: Dating a poker pro- From the perspective of a non-playing girlfrie

[ QUOTE ]
There are extremely few people who can sustain a career just from playing poker. That is the same for all high-risk professions -- acting, pro sports, music, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are confusing high failure rate with risky. I dated a girl who wanted to be an actress. This was a very risky choice and I tried to talk her out of it. I don't know exactly what the success rate is but I think 1% or less seems realistic. So it was high risk. That was when she started. Now years later she has had some minor parts in a few quasi-successful movies, she has stared in some direct to video movies, had a few ancillary roles on tv series. The risk at this point is no greater than any other job. Short of something extraordinary happening she will always have an income stream from acting.

Now I agree with you that a vast majority of people who want to gamble for a living will fail. But those that succeed will have no greater risk than any other form of employment.

Also if someone is honest with themselves they can test the water with gambling while still pursuing something more traditional until they are sure they can succeed at gambling. The pitfall being that I don't believe most people will be honest about their chances. Because they want to be a poker player they will just be wilfully blind to their lack of ability and try to force it.

I'm curious how do you feel about being a real estate agent as a career?