View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007, 03:08 PM

Default No c-bet leads to thin-value on turn and river

So I think a lot of SSMTTers play like robots. They raise PF, the c-bet the flop. They fold the turn U/I or the keep betting for value.

Well, I thought this is was a hand where it pays to think about your opponent's range, your equity against it, and how to maximize value.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Button (t2150)
Hero (t3190)
BB (t990)
UTG (t20)
UTG+1 (t90)
MP1 (t1920)
MP2 (t1630)
CO (t1330)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls t30, MP2 calls t30, CO calls t30, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t180</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO calls t150.

This is a really standard spot. I have a hand that is likely the best out there. I want to protect my equity in the pot right now by raising to thin the filed and I want to raise for value against worse hands that might call. The CO called so I will be playing the hand OOP. I am going to be wary of A high or K high flops since those are the most likely hands I will be behind. However, his range is still very wide at this point.

Flop: (t450) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

This is actually a relatively good flop for me. However, there is no point in betting here unless I am trying to get value out of 66-TT or to protect against 6 scare cards on the turn (Q/A: I say 6 b/c he would have to have one for it to actually hurt me). I'm not too worried about that, so I check it to him. I also check because I don't want to bet and have him raise me with air thinking I am making a standard c-bet. My hand still has showdown value.

Turn: (t450) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t210</font>, CO calls t210.

The sequence was good for me. Villain checked behind and a blank came on the turn. Now I am going to bet for value. I probably have to fold if he raises however. He doesn't have much equity in the pot if I am ahead, so I can afford to bet somewhat small. I don't want to bet so small that he raises with anything thinking I am weak. I bet a little less than 1/2 the pot. I figure if he raises that bet, it means he has a real hand.

River: (t870) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t330</font>, CO calls t330.

Villain called and another blank came on the river. I have another clear value bet here. He might call with 7x or a pair like 88-TT. Because the board is double-paired, he might even call with A high. I want to bet enough that he will call but no so little as to tempt him to raise me as a bluff. I want to bet enough that any raise he makes is likely a real hand and I can safely fold. I again bet a little less than 1/2 the pot. Villain calls.

Final Pot: t1530

I'm not saying I played this hand perfectly. Certainly arguments can be made for betting the flop (i.e. flush draw, over-cards can come as outs). I just thought I would share a little of my thought process on a somewhat unconventionally played hand.

Sherman