Thread: Firefox vs. IE
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2007, 08:29 AM

Default Re: Firefox vs. IE

[ QUOTE ]
I use Firefox. Here's why:

1) Add-ons: The main reason I use Firefox is it's extensibility. There are literally thousands of add-ons for it and there are new ones coming out all the time. I never see any banner ads because I use Adblock Plus. I never see Google ads because I use Customizegoogle. I can manage which sites are allowed to run scripts and install cookies. There are too many add-ons to mention but if you've ever thought "I'd like to be able to do [blank] inside my browser", you probably can with a Firefox add-on.

2) Security: I'm not going to tell you Firefox is 100% secure, it's not. But it is open-source so anyone who wants to can audit the code and bring security issues to Mozilla's attention. ActiveX is still a big threat to IE.

3) Development: Firefox has had features for years that IE only recently introduced in IE7 (tabs, RSS feeds, etc). Firefox 2.0 came out last year, Firefox 3.0 will probably be released early next year. Good luck seeing IE8 before 2010.

With all this being said, if you are only a casual internet user you may not see a big difference between IE and Firefox. But any poweruser or anyone who spends a significant amount of time on the web will see a huge improvement with Firefox + add-ons.

Ask me any questions. I'll be happy to answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also it's quicker (renders pages faster). I also really like the Master Password feature.