View Single Post
Old 06-12-2007, 05:00 AM

Default Re: Prove Poker is a Skill Game?

[ QUOTE ]
It seems pretty obvious that skill is involved. You have a number of decisions to make during a hand. Each decision will result in a different amount of long-term expected value. Some positive, some negaive and an infinite range in between. How much expected value you collect is down to you to decide.

Just work through a few hands yourself and do the math. Change the decisions and see how the EV works out. That in itself "proves" you (the player) have control over long term return.

The thing is: Most of us know the basic principle of how skill is involved. We know about the concept of EV, etc. BUT..... Putting it into consistent practice, EVERY decision, EVERY hand is a very, very difficult thing to do. So our ego's try and "cheer us up" by coming up with every excuse under the sun as to why we can't do it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't get me wrong, I am perfectly aware that poker is a game of skill in the long term. What I'm not aware of is anyone with some hard data to back that up asides from anecdotal ("I have a 500k hand database that shows xyz", when it MIGHT only show that that person is unusually lucky). I am using the word "Prove" in the mathematical sense.