View Single Post
Old 11-13-2007, 07:02 PM

Default Re: Turning 35, or Starting the Back 9

Nice post.

I was thinking about making one like this, but I couldn't figure out a good basing for it.

From my own observations, families seem to drift apart and come back together later in life. It is only natural that you would like to know the people that built your foundation.

Coming onto 30 is half rewarding, half-depressing. I find that there are things that I dreamed of doing that I am no longer capable of doing. I can at least look back and say I did quite a bit more than what other people have done.

I still don't understand a lot of things in life. I don't understand relationships, family, and stability, although a strong desire to learn all those things is there. The hardest part is seeing that there is a vision to attain in life, and yes, I do deserve it. I don't understand how I became what I am, but I understand why I am not what I wanted to be. I can't say that I live a life full of regrets more than the next person, but it is strange to think that there are so many mental and physical changes that occur so rapidly.

It is coming onto Thanksgiving. I have a friend from England who has no clue what this day means. It is supposed to mean a day of celebration and thankfulness, but it never works out that way. I try to explain to her that it is a day that a family makes a plan to see each other: people you otherwise hate and never want to see. Wounds that are 15 or more years old re-open. I told her that this is a highly personal day for families, and it is not a day that you want to witness among strangers. That it is bad form to invite yourself to a Thanksgiving dinner. I have had Thanksgiving with about 10 different families. It is my least favorite holiday because it is supposed to be so special, but all I ever seen was tension among torn people. It is supposed to be a time to forget, but even after so many years, this contempt is still there.

Yes, torn families is the norm. Think of that [censored]: it is someone's brother, someone's son, someone's father.