View Single Post
Old 09-23-2007, 01:23 AM

Default Re: example of police coercion

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Basically he can pat you down for weapons and run your ID to see if your wanted, but THAT's IT unless your under arrest. The rest of your interactions with him are completely voluntary (they are trained to intimidate you so you FEEL like you have to go along with what they say/ask.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have to show your ID? I was tailgating today on a porch and a cop came up on the porch and demanded to see everyones ID. I asked him if we had to show our ID but he side-stepped the question and never answered. I didn't show my ID and nothing happened to me but I am over 21.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check your local state laws. I think in some states it is mandatory to show your ID to a police officer if he asks for it, or mandatory to carry one or something. I"m no expert.

I think you handled it great. You can always ask the police "Is that an order or a request?" If it's an order they will tell you, if it's a request they may spout other words out their mouth trying to scare you (and evading the quesiton). Unless you are detained you are consenting to all inteactions with the police. They are trained as to how to be in charge and stay in charge so they don't have to directly respond "It's a request" they can say any damn thing they want just like if I asked to see your id and you said is that an order or a request. I can start saying "are you tryin to get fresh with me?" or whatever the hell I want, I"m a free citizen and have freedom of speech. YOu have the right to walk away from me at any time.

That's why it's important to clarify you leagal status "may I leave?"

If it's an order do it, if it's a request your next question could be "am I free to leave" or "may I go now offficer"