View Single Post
Old 04-24-2007, 01:22 AM

Default Re: PLO 200 pot control/thin river?

OK, sorry for being "grumpy"; I'll break it down a little more.

1) Preflop's not terrible, but it's not good either. It's best feature is three moderately connected cards. You've got some weak suits, but those aren't going to help you much in a multi-way pot. If you were OTB, I could see it, but it's just not a good hand to play in MP.

2) On the flop, you have zero outs to the nuts and zero chance of winning unimproved. Thus, you don't want to check and call a bet that's close to pot-sized. You either just barely have the odds to call or are drawing close to dead depending on what you're up against. If you are going to play this, the only way you can get value is by trying to take down the pot and using your draws as backup. However, they're so weak that check/folding is your best play, especially when you'll likely be playing the pot OOP.

3. The turn bet's stupid. You don't want to take third pair + weak FD to a cheap showdown. You either want to represent the straight and give yourself a chance to win the pot or you want to give up. Nobody's going to put you on a straight with that weak bet anyway, so you'll either get raised off your draw when you're up against a made hand or you'll be drawing to the worst hand against another flush draw when you get a cheap river.

4. The reason I say fold the river is because he ran down 3/4 of his time. The type of player that thinks a bluff needs to be the full pot to look strong is the same type of player that thinks a bluff has to be made in the first 5 seconds to be strong. Usually, when someone hesitates like that, they're trying to think of the best way to get value.