View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 03:16 AM

Default Re: The rise of the fundamentalist right in America

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, I was choking up reading the rest of your post. It is not easy growing up and living in a culture in which simply being of a different mind, no matter how tolerant, kind, open, accepting and benevolent, is reviled, and America is definitely that kind of place and rushing ardently to be more so. I had a lot of hard times as a kid and have often felt excluded since. Thanks for manifesting the true spirit of a Christian. I wish more Christians would understand the spirit behind the words of a great religion rather than use those words so callously and brutally as weapons and excuses. I have tremendous respect for true Christians, but they are so incredibly hard to find. A real Christian is an athlete of the soul who I would find it very hard not to admire. It would be wonderful and one of my greatest wishes of all to find more people to admire.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blarg,

Thank you. Your words here mean a lot to me, too. I confess, every time I get on this subject, your words about how religion is a perfectly crafted vehicle for hate from another thread in here echo menacingly in my brain. I went off on quite the tirade then, and it was echoes of the same that, along w/ Tarheel, prompted this latest bit. The above pleases me no end. That someone who'd written such a biting denunciation of Christianity does indeed have not only an acceptance, but an admiration of Christianity as it should be has me a little choked up, too. Unfortunately, I don't exactly live up to your ideal. I am still excluding and unloving far too often. I can't beat human nature all the time, but I can at least help others see what we're both striving toward.