View Single Post
Old 06-21-2007, 09:12 AM

Default Odds & Connectors

Hi there,

I'm a greenhorn in poker and play with some buds; makes us six players at the table.
My question is: given that I hold a connector like 89o. Do I have the odds to see the flop? Let's say I'm on the button and 3 players limped with $10. I am pretty sure that the SB and BB will not raise (weak-tight players). So, this would make it $10:$50 or 1:5 pot odds. Now, I read that the odds of flopping an open-ended straight draw are 1:11 (is that correct?). This would still make it incorrect to call, right?
Question arising: Do you even give a damn about odds preflop with a hand like this, in this situation and position? I mean, if somebody raised in front of you, or if you were in early position not knowing whether someone will raise behind you, then this hand was a clear fold (if you play abc-poker).
Or do you say: Well, if I hit my open-ended straight I will have the odds to continue and even get paid off? That would make it a decision based on implied odds, right? But you have to be pretty sure that you will get those $60 from your 5 or less opponents after the flop (needing $110:$10 or 1:11 to break even).
So, playing connectors is the gambling part of the game, right? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

True or false?

I have to admit that I read two books about poker theory, but I don't get the math of pre-flop decisions (and some other concepts, too) because I lack math talent and good advice (which I hope be given here).

Any advice greatly appreciated

KampfHase