View Single Post
Old 02-17-2007, 02:10 PM

Default Re: Time to write off public education?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Department of Education and the No Child Left Behind act both come to mind. The ever-increasing stranglehold that the teachers' unions have is another. I'm sure there's more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like parents who see the public school as a free babysitter and have zero involvement with their child's education?

Seriously it's easy to blame teachers' unions and government ineptitude... but the biggest problem IMO is that there are too few parents who give a crap. Thus their kids don't give a crap, thus the students who DO give a crap are surrounded by student's who don't, and good teachers eventually have their idealism broken by all the kids/parents who obviously don't give a crap.

I think we need to make all schools have competitive admissions (like colleges do) so that the smart kids with involved parents can get a good education and the free babysitting can be done elsewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

My mother is a california teacher and she has come to the same conclusion. She believes the biggest problem we have with the school system is that it is compulsory. I agree with her that it is one of the biggest problems.

natedogg