View Single Post
Old 10-22-2007, 11:17 AM

Default A very interesting ethics situation and a Bellagio Floor ruling

10-20 NL

Player 1 is a Bellagio regular who seems to be friendly with the floor and is likely a winning player. Doesn't seem to be an angle shooter at all, in fact in discussion he seems to be personable and honest in matters not related to poker.

Player 2 is more of a Wynn regular who is sort of arrogant but mostly quiet.

About an hour before this situation takes place my end of the table was discussing action out of turn and what constitutes action and what is binding. We discussed it for some time.

Preliminary situation-

We're four handed and Player 2 raises his button to $100. I call from the BB w/ QJ. I check call all three streets on a board that reads J-4-4-7-2 rainbow. I considered folding to his $500 river bet but when he started announcing my hand "J-T, QJ, etc" I called and he said "Kings" and flashed his hand in a manner that I would see only one card, a king. I never muck my hand until the other player has completely tabled his, and he reluctantly and slowly tabled K-T. Then he mildly berated me for my call.

Fifteen minutes later....

PF action is unsure, but Player 2 limps in and Player 1 raises, Player 2 calls.

Flop is

9-4-6 with a flush draw

Player 2 checks, Player 1 bets about $180 and Player 2 calls. The turn pairs the 4 and it is checked around.

The river is a brick and Player 2 checks to Player 1. Player 2 is obviously frustrated and has been for a while now, and Player 1 grabs a stack ($400) and starts cutting the chips into $100 stacks (not in front of him, but in motion to bet) as Player 1 is just about to finish cutting the third stack (obviously still in the motion of betting and has NOT completed his bet) Player 2 announces "Call" out of turn. Immediately after Player 2 announces call, Player 1 announces "Two-thousand" while cutting the third and fourth stack of chips.

Floor is called and rules Player 2 must pay Player 1 the $2,000 river bet. Player 1 had about $2500 when the river card fell and Player 1 had him covered. Obviously drama ensues.

I like the ruling and I like the rule, but i'm not sure how I feel about this situation. Player 2 tried to angleshoot me to a certain extent, and in the above situation Player 1 took advantage of a frustrated and out of line opponent who was most likely trying to influence Player 1's bet amount when he announced "call" out of turn. Obviously Player 1 wasn't going to bet $2,000, but I think Player 2 thought that he might get a cheaper showdown by announcing "call" out of turn.

What are your thoughts on both players, this situation, and the rule that action out of turn is binding in this case (action out of turn is binding unless the action changes before it comes to the player who acted out of turn".

-Tex