View Single Post
Old 11-11-2007, 08:53 PM

Default Re: workiing out without weights

I used to do a lot of bodyweight training back when I was doing Kung Fu. The big problem with bodyweight training IMHO is that it's really hard to get your rep count into hypertrophy range consistently, and it's also really hard to steadily increase the intensity as part of a programming cycle. However, for general fitness it's superb. If you're very mentally strong in your workouts you can definitely do bodyweight work for hypertrophy.

Anyway, my favorite stuff :

PUSHUPS : obviously, but not just flat pushups, inclines, declines, feet up the wall, claps, wide, narrow, pushups with a plus, hindu pushups - tons of good stuff.

PULLUPS : and chinups, and pullups with ab work like knees to the bar, leg lifts, pullups then a muscle-up, kipping pullups, jump up and negative, wide and narrow grip, pullups to your belly button.

ABS : there's so much bodyweight ab stuff I'll hardly mention it. The best stuff imho is combining it to make it more full body. One I've been doing recently is plank (hover) to side plank to side bends to pushups cycles for as long as possible. Also pilates is a great resource for tons of awesome hard core work.

LEGS : burpees, squats, plyometric jumps, box jumps, step ups, but also mainly just sprint intervals, uphill sprints, stuff like that.

If you have a kids jungle gym in a park you can do all this stuff and also more stuff like hypers and reverse hypers and lots of core stuff by using the monkey bars like a roman chair.