View Single Post
Old 05-24-2007, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Distribution of CP2-7 Hand Values

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, I was stunned by some of these results. I was expecting hand values in the front and back to be higher because of the low in the middle. Instead, in the back you have a KQ flush at 50 %ile and Smolen has a KJ flush. 70 %ile: Gritter(CP2-7) == 5s full, Smolen(CP) == 4s full. 90 %ile: Gritter (CP2-7) == Qs full, Smolen (CP) == Qs full.

The fronts are a different story. Whereas Smollen has 552 at 50%ile, you have QQK (552 is 26 %ile). 70 %ile: AA6 vs TT9. 90 %ile: 333 vs. KKQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes sense because the front is much less constrained. It might be more apropos to compare the front in CP2-7 with the middle in CP high.

The only "constraint" on the back, however, is maximizing total value of the 13-card hand. Always making the best possible hand in back is wrong, but not too badly wrong--- correct to a first approximation. So it's not too surprising that the front hands in 2-7 are only a tiny bit stronger. (I would be interested to see things on the low end: is the 10th percentile significantly stronger or weaker in CP2-7 than in CP high? It may make a lot more sense in 2-7 to weaken the front in order bolster the middle.)