View Single Post
Old 09-16-2006, 11:22 AM

Default Omaha-8 Article Correction

I’ve made a horrible mistake. My apologies to all.

When you are confronted with a $100 bet, and the pot size exclusive of your last $100 is $500, then you’re getting 5 to 1 odds for the whole pot.<ul type="square">If you can see 9 cards (and the whereabouts of the other 43 are unknown to you), you need 8 outs that scoop in order to have favorable odds to call. And in that case, your hand odds (the odds against making your hand) will be 35 to 8, or 4.375 to 1. Since the pot odds are greater than your hand odds, you have favorable odds to continue.[/list]But if you win half the pot, you’ll end up winning only $200, and thus you’re getting 2 to 1 odds for half the pot.<ul type="square">If you can see 9 cards (and the whereabouts of the other 43 are unknown to you), then you need 15 outs that win half the pot in order to have favorable odds to call. And in that case, your hand odds (the odds against making your hand) will be 28 to 15, or 1.87 to 1. Since the pot odds are greater than your hand odds, you have favorable odds to continue.[/list]So clearly two outs for half the pot are equivalent to one out for the whole pot.

Again, my apologies to all, especially my supporters. The best I can do is make this correction and refuse payment for the article.

I have another article prepared about a what I think is a nifty short-cut system for starting hand selection for typical limit games. I think it’s a good, simplistic approach. Maybe it will get published and if it does, maybe that will atone somewhat for this first article.

Frank Jerome (Buzz)