View Single Post
Old 08-22-2006, 07:31 PM

Default Re: Visualizing Calabi-Yau spaces?

If you were to picture existence as proposed by M-theory you would begin by picturing a great empty space (p-dimension) and in that space you picture a three dimensional space representing our universe (x,y,z). Zoom in really far to some very specific coordinates in this space. At those coordinates picture another three dimesnional shape, but when you picture it give it a different orientation than the original three dimensions. Now curve the axis so that the positive and negative poles of each form closed loops.

You wind up with what looks like a three dimensional object, but when you consider movement you can begin to see how these extra dimensions work. You move up-down, back-forth, and across the first three dimensions until you find this object. When you reach the object you can move through it by moving along the original x,y,z axis, but to move around the object you have to follow one of the curved axis to do it.

I hope that helps. I think it's impossible to picture higher dimensional shapes and graphs without considering movement. The dimensional bundles in M-theory also have more than three axis each, which makes my theory of visualization pointless outside of maybe helping the discussion.