View Single Post
Old 11-28-2007, 03:12 PM

Default Re: gmail has been hacked...what to do?

[ QUOTE ]
I've changed my poker passwords, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

From? If you changed a password from a computer that could have been compromised then you really haven't made yourself more secure.

If you have reason to suspect that you have a keylogger on a computer that you play poker from, my advice is to reformat. Is really is the only 100% sure way. Back in the day I ran an experiment to test how effective various spyware/virus removal programs were. After acquiring some nasty stuff (pron + IE ftw) I ran spybot, lavasoft, etc. Though scans run in safe mode could 'remove it' (otherwise it would reboot the puter) it was always able to resurrect itself. Even after a sterling hijackthis log it still kept coming back.

Now obviously computers aren't magic and there is of course a way to get rid of these things. The point is that it can be very difficult and you take the risk that some remnant of the program is left even using 'sophisticated' removal tools. Personally I would never take this chance on any computer that I have sensitive info on, play poker on, access financial information on, etc.