View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 12:25 PM

Default Re: Liberty Dollar office raided

[ QUOTE ]
this is disgutting. Can one single statist on here justify why this is even slightly a good idea?

What does this say about the government?

I beg of someone to please answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, as I was saying to CaseClosed, it's probably a good idea to, you know, wait until the guys get charged with something before getting your hackles up.

Anyway, these guys are apparently going to be charged with mail fraud and money laundering; although the warrant to authorize the raid obviously isn't very specific. My guess is the feds will either accuse these guys of defrauding customers -- because I'm taking a shot in the dark that Liberty Dollar currency, while 'backed with a metal', probably does not have a value anywhere close to its claimed specie content; obviously there's going to be a markup, but who knows, the feds might claim there's fraud going on here -- and I suppose the mail fraud charge is because Liberty Dollar is using the US Postal Service to engage in that fraud (if that's really what's behind the mail fraud charge). Or perhaps they're going to make a counterfeiting charge of some sort (although I don't know how that would fall under USC 982). Or who knows, perhaps there's some other unknown reason -- or like I said earlier, maybe FBI is overaggressive and invented a reason. These are just guesses on my part.

Again, though, the posted link is about anyone outside of the FBI has to go on right now, so getting indignant and demanding answers and justifications from internet posters who don't work for the FBI probably won't get you anywhere at the moment:

http://www.libertydollar.org/legal/p...t_20071114.pdf