View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 12:58 AM

Default Re: This just means a lot to me I hope you can help

this is an issue that your not alone in dealing with. Its common and it happens to many ppl. teaching discipline is hard, and you have done alot in tryin to improve this leak in your game( or so it seems) its easy for me to say" jsut dont do that" but its easy for me to say because I dont get urges to chase losses ( I guess Im lucky) but there are some things that I think may help ppl in ur spot

1) phsycally get up from ur computer and leave the room, for 10 minutes or so, especailly in cash games ( tournys youll get blinded off) DONT bother sitting out, or waiting for ur button or ANYTHING of this nature. Just leave. youll get timed out, and loose nothing. this will give you time to re-gather yourself.

2) ITS OK TO HAVE A LOOSING SESSION. dont think of yourself as having a loosing day, poker is not about making a certain amount of money everyday, its about making money in the longrun. you can have 4-5 loosing "days" and be the best NL player on the planent, it can and will happen that ur going to loose.

3.) Its alot easier to loose in poker than it is to win. You can nicely grind for a 5K hands and loose all ur profit in 50 hands by moving up in stakes when ur stuck and steaming, this is known as parlaying backwords.

4) remember that the money you have won in gambling is from poker, and the money your loosing is from degernative gambling. If you have won a substantial amount in poker, why would you try to win more in pure gambling? at least from parlaying backwords ur in ur own "realm" of poker. stick with what braught you to the dance in the first place.

5) moving down in stakes is hard for alot of people, but its much better to win at 50NL than it is to loose at 400NL. try to think of the amount of BB as aposed to actual amount of $$ invloved, alot of ppl I know will say " whatever its just another 50$ to call" but that 50$ is acutlly 12.5 BB. Look at the contrast between the show HSP and "cash poker" Doyle is sitting at HSP with 500k in front of him as the minimum buyin for that game, and then u see him playing cash poker with 25K in front of him-he played the same way. because its not the money at stake that matter its jsut BB's.

I dont know if any of this helped, this seems to be my strength in poker, the off felt mentality. I have a few lil thigns I do that help, me not tilt, but I have gone from winning/loosing 1K pots to playing 1c-2c on titan poker, with the same focus I had playing 500NL. so mabey its jsut makeup of a person. try to remeber that a big part of ur pssoible edge is that u can maintain ur edge. we could all crush world class pros if they went on insane donkey tilt after missing one draw, or loosing a flip. but they dont do that.