View Single Post
Old 11-07-2007, 05:52 PM

Default Do I Misunderstand The Double Slit Experiment

What I think I know about it comes from a couple of forty year old books. And what I remember reading is so spooky that it gives one pause about whether some supernatural entity could have something to do with it. But every time I mention it the scientists pooh pooh me. Which makes me think that I am thinking things about the experiment, and related exoeriments that aren't true.

So without going into detail, are the following things true?

1. If we watch individual photons as they are going through the slit(s) they make patterns on the screen like they are particles. If we don't watch them, the patterns are those of a wave.

2. If we aren't watching, but we have a movie camera pointed at the slits, the pattern is of particles.

3. If the movie camera has no film the pattern will be waves.

4. IF THE CAMERA HAS FILM AND WE DON'T LOOK AT THE SCREEN UNTIL AFTER WE LOOK AT THE PICTURES, AND ON THE WAY TO THE DRUGSTORE WE FALL AND RUIN THE FILM, WE WILL SEE WAVES ON THE SCREEN. In other words the photons "know" that we will not be able to see them go through the slits, even though our inability to do that is because of an event in the future!

Am I wrong?