View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 04:52 PM

Default Re: Screen Writers Guild Strike?

[ QUOTE ]
Those production companies are not on the WGA because they are non-legit. I already mentioned how you join the WGA.

Jimmy Kimmel got his start on public broadcast. Ad Libbing is not a form of copyright, nor is it written, thus he would be circumventing the WGA strike.

[/ QUOTE ]

Non-legit?

Apatow Productions (Judd Apatow's company, responsible for Knocked Up, 40-Year-Old Virgin, etc.) is not on their list. Would his company be deemed not legit?

Robert Rodriguez company, Troublemaker Studios, isn't on the list. Dunno how legit he is though...

The Wayans Bros. company isn't on the list. Several other companies. I wouldn't say they aren't legit. Maybe independent, maybe some are low-budget, and indeed some may not be legit but there definitely are some "legit" companies there. I haven't gone down the entire list, but those are just two off the top of my head.

As for joining the WGA, there are a number of ways, all of which are listed on the WGA Website. There are actually quite a few ways to become a member, none of which are writing a script and paying a fee. You have to sell a written work to one of their signatory (legit) companies, then apply for membership and pay the fee.