View Single Post
Old 03-05-2007, 10:01 PM

Default Re: WWE 24/7 On Demand

I ordered WWE 24/7 and just started watching. I decided to watch part 1 of a Hulk Hogan anthology first since it's on the "Last Chance" list.

The first match was Hogan vs. Andre the Giant from a TV taping on 9/13/80. It was an interesting little match which started the first WWWF Andre-Hogan feud. It ended when Freddie Blassie loaded Hogan's right elbow pad and then Hogan delivering "Hogan's Hammer" (his clothesline finisher) with it and busting Andre open. The match is notable for Hogan slamming Andre very easily early in the match.

I'm watching the second match right now. It's Hogan vs. Nick Bockwinkel for the AWA World Championship at Super Sunday(?). This match is probably the most famous from Hogan's run in the AWA. After failing several times to win the championship from Bockwinkel, they have their big showdown.

Bockwinkel has Hogan caught in a sleeper (Bockwinkel's finisher). Hogan then flips him over and hits the referee in the process. The two recover and Bockwinkel puts the sleeper on again. Hogan backs into the turnbuckles hitting the referee a second time. Bockwinkel puts on a third sleeper and Hogan flips him over the top rope to escape. After Hogan revives the referee, he catches Bockwinkel with a suplex to bring him back into the ring. He hits the legrop and gets the pin.

The crowd went nuts as Hogan held the AWA Championship in the ring for about two minutes. Then, ring announcer Gene Okerlund told the crowd that AWA President Stanley Blackburn ruled that Hogan was automatically disqualified for throwing Bockwinkel over the top rope (a common old school rule). The belt was returned to Bockwinkel and the crowd pelted the ring with garbage.

The third match is Hogan beating the Iron Shiek on 1/23/84 for the WWF Championship.