View Single Post
Old 12-03-2006, 04:23 PM

Default Re: To Catch a Predator: Creating Crime

[ QUOTE ]
I have watched this show and from what I saw you are not correct when you write that the advocacy group "invites" men to come and have sex.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, loose use of language. Your typical chat log involves the girl giving her age, where the guy hesitates. But the decoy often acts unconcerned, and sometimes the perp continues because the decoy seems willing. The decoy then volunteers they are home alone. The men are very much the aggressors here, and act very slimy. But, the decoy does provide willingness and ecnouragement, helping to make the perp decide to act on his desires. Using the word "invite" probably isn't the best characterization, I was just trying to make the OP brief.

The point of the poll is whether authorities (or in cooperation with a group) should always or sometimes be allowed to create a false crime situation, by artificially providing an environment where someone might commit a crime if their beliefs were true about the situation. Do you think this should always be acceptable, or reserved for a certain class of crime? I thought the question was interesting, because most people who aren't anti-state love the PJ thing. America values protecting children from adults very highly. Just take a look at sex offender laws to see the zeal. I was attempting to see if we condone this type of sting because of our association with the social hideousness of the crime, or because we actually approve of allowing authorities to entice would be criminals into actual criminals.