View Single Post
Old 10-15-2007, 11:25 PM

Default Re: Farha on Omaha - Anybody read it yet?

I went to the local library (Barnes and Noble) and read about a third of it (Mainly the chapter on Pot limit Omaha). I did this rather than spring $14 on Amazon because I was dubious of its quality after seeing the example pages on Amazon.

Okay the book is broken up into five section. The first, an intro and review of basic omaha play and strategy . The next three go over Limit Omaha, O8, and finaly Pot Limit Omaha. The last chapter is a perfuctory sumation of his basic strategy.

The good. The book is fairly short and to the point. He constantly talks about what would be considered the typical good play versus what he would do. He gives specific exaples of how image can be used at the table to your advantage. Some of his advice goes very contrary to what would be consisdered "good solid omaha", but it obviously seems to work for him. While a lot of the advice relies a lot on his ability to read people at the table, he does give some insight on how he does it. While this part is almost put in as an afterthought, I thought it was interesting. He also talks about how to play against Short stakers

The bad. The book is badly organized. It is obvious it was written mainly by Storms Reback from a couple of interviews he probably had with Farha. Because of this, it feels a bit shallow and lacks some depth.

In general, the book is not horrible, but nothing I think really necessary to have. There are some good insights, but just not enough meat to make it great. Whether it is worth buying can be determined by your reaction to this line in his book, " You should'nt play agressively from early position ... unless your name is Sam Farha.". I laughed and got some entertainment value. If you cringe, then I would'nt get it.