View Single Post
Old 11-07-2007, 02:04 PM

Default Re: $50r - Another Easy Preflop Spot That Pisses Me Off

With the hand face up its -EV to open push for sure. I think open pushing just sucks, especially with ATo because people will call with a range that is relatively close to the range they'd call with if our hand was face up. At least I find it very unlikely that open pushing will be anything more than very slight +EV.

I think open raising is normal, to like 1500 or something. I think folding to certain re raises is fine. My style is generally that I care less about an individual play than about the way that each of my plays relates to my entire range and etc. If I raise here and am calling reraises with something like 55-70% of my raising range, my opponents should be making a theoretical mistake every time they get out of line, whether I have a calling hand or not.

Of course it makes sense to alter your play for specific situations, thus making it more exploitable, but better suited for the given conditions. However I think open pushing is simply not very good, if my K+S chart says it's bad when you have over 12 BB's from this position, and we have over 16. Folding is obviously bad. The only option left is the very standard raise to 1500-1600. After that you can use your judgement whether to call a reraise, but I would never say that you must call one. Offhand you'll probably need like 40-41% equity to call a raise. If you think you have that against the reraiser's range, then go ahead and call. If not then fold. However I don't think it's some major mistake not to open push for 16x BB when all opponents but one have you covered and it's -EV with the hand face up.

Cliff Notes: I strongly prefer a standard 2.5x BB raise to open pushing. Fold if you want when reraised, or call if you think you are getting the correct equity.