Thread: 5 CD nl .50
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 09:17 PM

Default Re: 5 CD nl .50

*semi-grunched* (I saw the first reply)

Typical experienced play with trips calls for drawing just 1 to disguise your hand (makes you look like 2 pair, and you beat every 2 pair hand). That works well right thru 2/4 fixed.

OK, so let’s look at your play from the other’s perspective (meaning how I would play his hand against you). 2 BB is my standard raise to open a pot (so you can’t read my bet size).

2BB means a good playable hand, from the cutoff 6-way that means JJ or better.

Your call looks weak to me. I’d read that as a Broadway pair or less.

So I draw 1, you draw 2. Typically people who draw 2 on weak hands have a pair with an ace (or K or Q). My notes on passing thru bad players (they donate too much to stay too long) frequently read “keeps kicker (on shorts).”

So I drew 1. I either have 2 pair or trips, if I have say AA22 or KKK I’m going to think I’m way ahead of you going to SD. There’s also an outside chance that I raised as a semi bluff with a 1 card draw

Then at SD you pot it, finally some strength. Mebby you do have some real strength, but long term the best you have is trips. What do I have? Well… say I do have KKK or AAA… I’m ahead. Or my 2233x turned into 22233. So I push….

I rarely see a big push as a bluff in 5CD. There is the occasional maniac who has trips every hand but they are rare. Another good general rule I use is a hand strong enough to raise with when pushing has become a boat (where limped hands that later push are straights and flushes) (DUCY?).

So, I read ME as having a full house. Good fold from you.

Next time you have this hand, put your $2 into the pot as a pre-draw re-raise.

Links:

5CD Hand Converter

Online Draw Poker Strategy BY: MICHAEL WIESENBERG

(search out all his articles)