View Single Post
Old 11-23-2007, 02:13 PM

Default Re: what do artists get out of creating art

I think that there is something to the Bipolar argument. I am not bi-polar, but I go through huge arcs of emotions. My life, and especially my artistic motivation, is hugely effected by my moods. If I am feeling depressed, I cannot do anything but think on a base level.

Creation is a form of happiness. An addiction. A lifeblood. To create ideas is what makes the world move. The tension of not creating spawns the desire to create.

An artist gains stability. It is not a drive to be noticed, or to make money. To not create is succumbing to something you are not. An acceptance of futility and depression. A way to fight these moods is to focus on something you are passionate on. A depressed mood can sometimes be lifted by feeling the pencil, brush, or knife, in your hand.

I do not believe that a casual observer cannot truly comprehend the passion and work that goes into art the same way I cannot accept the complexity and full function of a corn-stalk. Yes, I can look at it's beauty, and appreciate the food, but a scientist can appreciate the work and function of the corn. A scientist can appreciate it's full growth. He is more likely to see it grow from seed to death. I only eat the corn. Although I appreciate it's taste, I am not able to appreciate it's very existence.