View Single Post
Old 10-19-2007, 05:31 PM

Default Re: Ask TheMetetron about living in or visiting Buenos Aires, Argentin

[ QUOTE ]
I wondered where 'Soho' came from. I just figured it reminded people of Soho New York. The name Palermo Hollywood still doesn't make much sense though. The Plaza Serrano/Cortazar thing is confusing too. I've always called it Serrano and that seems more popular amongst the people too, but about every map I see has it labeled as Cortazar. And just to make things more convoluted, The plaza just South of Serrano is being renovated. It used to be called Plaza Campana del Desierto, but the city is changing it to Plaza Palermo Viejo.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's called that way after NYC SoHo, because both are recycled old areas that offer design/furniture/clothing related products, in a very trendy fashion. I dont like that name, I find it kind off ridiculous.

Palermo Hollywood it's called like that because there are lots of filming houses, i dont know if that makes sense in english (here we calle em "productoras"), there's a big TV channel and there are also houses doing post-production, transfers, etc. So it is a film related area.

Plaza Serrano was it's name like until year 2000 or something. Then they switched it's name to Cortazar, but people kept calling it "plaza serrano".

Im not very sure what plaza is the one just south of serrano but changing it's name doesn't seem a bad idea because "La campaņa del desierto" was a military campaign that toke place around 1870 in which they almost exterminated the native settlers of the patagonia (mapuches, tehuelches and ranqueles), so it was basically genocide (and it was vey brutal the way they did it) The guy that commanded that campaing is Julio Roca, who has many streets to his name and his face is printed in our 100 pesos bills (that should be changed also).