View Single Post
Old 05-02-2006, 12:04 PM

Default Re: Coping with GOOD luck

[ QUOTE ]
This is why I posted my question. I know that there is conventional wisdom to what you say, however, I tend to favor Mute's advice. Here's why. (Close cousin to "Do you see why")

I question to what degree Greenstein's advice applies to online poker. In this instance, none of the tables I was playing at was particularly juicy. They were pretty standard table composition-- much the same as I would find everyday with many of the same players. There was not a particular "fish" or plural "fishes" giving away money, I simply caught good cards If I thought I was sitting at a juicy table I wouldn't have even considered leaving. I don't think I was leaving a big score on the tables.

That said, I agree that this mentality is a weakness-- however, perhaps one that it is better to play around in some online situations where favorable conditions are constantly shifting around and realigning themselves on different tables, in a way that does not happen in live poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

glad you booked the win, but why were you at these tables anyway? i would never sit at a table if i couldn't identify AT LEAST one fish/donator (not difficult at party, imo).

fwiw, i've gotten over the session obsession by just doing the following. after each session, i review all of my big hands. i look at the twodimes numbers, and i try to put villain on a reasonable range (and run these numbers, too). some of this is enlightening in terms of statistics (my intuition is not always accurate about the equities), but the important thing is that i'm able to evaluate the quality of my decisions. i've found that this has cut down DRASTICALLY on my bad decisions, as i've come to realize the times when i'm putting my money is as a dog. gradually these instances are becoming more and more rare. regardless, even if i lose money at the tables, i'm OK with that as long as i've made good decisions.

i also journal all of my "lessons", so that i can review them when necessary. this journal could easily become a book (one that i'll never publish).

fwiw, i also don't track results by month, week, etc. these are just arbitrary cut-off points. i'm OK with tracking by year, and by quarter might be OK if you play enough hands. other than that, i just want to evaluate my play on a hand-by-hand basis. i look at sessions only if i see a trend (e.g., saturday mornings at party are not wildly profitable -- *cough* weak-tight nut-peddlers *cough*).