View Single Post
Old 11-22-2007, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Kindle: Amazon\'s new wireless reading device

Good try Amazon, second to the market (Sony was first last year) but this will not take off.

First of all, the design is terrible, I get the feeling of a early 1990's cellphone when I look at it.

Second, the DRM restrictions of not allowing you to also view the books on your computer, only on the device is crippling imo.

Third, No support for pdf files. Really, what were you thinking?

Fourth, no wireless is a huge blow. Sony offers free RSS and blog subscription on their similar device for free via wireless. Amazon, in order to pay for their EVDO network access charge a monthly fee for blogs/rss/newspapers. Not gonna fly with most consumers.

It is a good gesture by Amazon, but no way do they win the market with this device.

I expect Google or Apple to come in with a much better design and win the market.

Design is really the most important issue when it comes to consumer electronics. MP3 players existed for a few years before Apple launched the iPOD with a revolutionary user interface. Until then anyone sporting an MP3 player was just a "nerd".

So thanks for advancing the technology Amazon, it's just too bad you didn't put more effort into the design. You would have had the market if you did.