Thread: Yoga
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2007, 10:03 AM

Default Re: Yoga

[ QUOTE ]
There must be something in yoga, given all the followers but I'm not convinced either. My g/f went to a few sessions last month and came back looking like she'd done no exercise at all (I guess you don't do it to keep fit). Anyway, the yoga instructor apparently said that using weights etc is bad because it "crushes the mussles" so my g/f, who could do with doing more exercise/toning frankly, is now of the view that vigorous exercise is bad for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just bad communication (either on the yoga instructor's end or your GFs, maybe both).

The thing about intense exercise is that if you just up and go lift heavy weights or run as fast as you can, then your big muscles will pick all the work because that's the easiest way for your body to get it done. If all your exercises are of the type where your big muscles are contracting, then they will actually shorten up, or get "crushed" which is not real good. It leads to muscle injury eventually. But when you combine intense exercise with a stretchy exercise that works small muscles (like yoga or pilates) then your muscles develop in a more balanced way (big and small muscles get worked, longer range of motion on all muscles).