View Single Post
Old 05-07-2007, 07:09 PM

Default Re: A few \'scientific\' polls to compare OOT to the rest of the US

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know enough to refute your post, in fact I just found what I found because I was curious about transitional fossils and decided to post it.

One thing I do want to say is that you shouldn't include a quote like

[ QUOTE ]
When all is said and done, however, a row of look-alike fossils cannot be proof that one species changed into another; we cannot be sure that the little rock badger of long ago changed into Orohippus, since it is just as likely that they have always been separate species, one still living, one extinct.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you claim that you're willing to accept evidence contrary to your viewpoint if only it were to be presented.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to understand the difference between similar creatures, and transitional creatures. All of these "line-ups" are simply creatures that look alike put in some order that was determined by a predisposed hypothesis looking for justification.

That's like saying forks evolved from knives and showing you a picture like this:

Clearly you can see that we started with the knife, but millions of years of evolution turned it into a rounded spoon-like creature that was better adapted at gathering food. But spoons were no good at stabbing. So, by lucky roll of the dice, the SPORK was born! A few sporks developed a 4th tine due to random genetic mutations and these were found to be superior so all the 3 tined sporks died out due to starvation. More mutations and our spork tines grew longer, and more able to stab and hold struggling prey. Millions of years later after much refinement, we finally had the fork! A perfect food stabbing machine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, this is not that bad of an argument. The only difference I can think of is that in living things there is DNA which allows communication between the different stages on the chart. Nice example though.